In this episode I am joined by Jonathan Balcombe, an expert in animal behaviour. We discuss his work exploring how intellectually and emotionally complex fish actually are, and dispel many of the hugely prevalent myths surrounding fish, and fish sentience. We also discuss some of their most interesting behaviours, whether or not it is ethical to eat mussels and oysters, and whether or not we should have home aquariums.
Listen to find out:
- Are fish self aware?
- Are fish intelligent?
- What does the science actually say about fish?
- What about mussels and oysters, do they feel pain?
- Is it ethical to eat mussels and oysters?
- What about flies, and insects in terms of sentience?
- What about pleasure for animals, can the world be a joyful place for them?
- Can fish feel pride?
- What about the pet industry, should people have aquariums?
✺ Jonathan's website: https://jonathan-balcombe.com/
✺ To support the show & get access to exclusive monthly podcast episodes: http://www.patreon.com/earthlinged
✺ Find out more about what I do & join my mailing list: http://www.earthlinged.org
✺ Download my free 122 page e-book: http://www.earthlinged.org/ebook
✺ Take a 22 day free vegan challenge: http://switchtovegan.co.uk
✺ Become a supporter of my activism (thank you!): http://www.earthlinged.org/support